The 30th playable character to join Genshin Impact's rapidly-expanding roster, Hu Tao is now live as part of the new Moment in Bloom banner.
The Pyro-based Liyue resident is a polearm wielding DPS who seems to be friendly with ghosts... apt, given her role as the 77th Director of the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor. She even manages to scare off the Fatui in her character demo!
Despite her low Base ATK, Hu Tao only grows stronger as she unlocks talents, and has HP regeneration built into her kit. The lower her HP, the more damage and regen she will benefit from.
On first glance, pairing her with Bennett for both the double-Pyro boost and more healing seems like an ideal foundation for a strong overall comp.
Hu Tao: Active Talents
Basic & Charged Attack - Secret Spear of Wangsheng
Normal Attack: Performs up to 6 rapid strikes.
Charged Attack: Consumes a certain amount of Stamina to lunge forward, dealing damage to enemies along the way.
Elemental Skill — Guide to Afterlife
Paramita Papilio State:
- Increases Hu Tao's ATK based on her Max HP at the time of entering this state. ATK Bonus gained this way cannot exceed 400% of Hu Tao's Base ATK. Hu Tao's attack DMG is converted to Pyro DMG, which cannot be overridden by any other elemental infusion.
- Increases Hu Tao's resistance to interruption.
- Paramita Papilio ends when its duration is over, or when Hu Tao has left the battlefield or fallen.
- In the Paramita Papilio state, Hu Tao's Charged Attacks apply the Blood Blossom effect to enemies it hits.
Blood Blossom Effect:
- Enemies affected by Blood Blossom will take Pyro DMG every 4s. This DMG is considered Elemental Skill DMG.
- Each enemy can be affected by only one Blood Blossom effect at a time, and its duration may only be refreshed by Hu Tao herself.
Elemental Burst — Spirit Soother
Hu Tao commands a blazing spirit to deal Pyro DMG in a large AoE. Upon striking the enemy, regenerates a percentage of Hu Tao's Max HP. This effect can be triggered up to 5 times based on the number of enemies hit.
If Hu Tao's HP is below or equal to 50% when the enemy is hit, both the DMG and HP Regeneration are increased.
Check out the full video guide to Hu Tao's abilities below:
Hu Tao: Passive Talents
When a Paramita Papilio state activated by Guide to Afterlife ends, all allies in the party (excluding Hu Tao herself) will have their CRIT Rate increased by 12% for 8s.
When Hu Tao's HP is equal to or less than 50%, her Pyro DMG Bonus is increased by 33%.
The More the Merrier
When Hu Tao cooks a dish perfectly, she has a 18% chance to receive an additional "Suspicious" dish of the same type.
Hu Tao: Talent and Ascension Materials
In order to build Hu Tao to her maximum potential (i.e. Level 90), you'll need the following materials:
- Agnidus Agate: Earned by defeating the Pyro Regisvineboss.
1x Sliver, 9x Fragment, 9x Chunk, 6x Gemstone.
- Juvenile Jade: Earned by defeating the Primo Geovishap boss.
You'll need 46 in total.
- Silk Flower: Found in the upper level of Liyue Harbor and near the Wangshu Inn.
You'll need 168 in total.
- Nectar: Earned by defeating Whopperflowers.
18x Whopperflower Nectar, 30x Shimmering Nectar, 36x Energy Nectar.
- Diligence books: Earned by farming the Taishan Mansion Domain on Tuesday, Friday, or Sunday.
9x Teachings, 63x Guide, 114x Philosophies.
- Nectar: Earned by defeating Whopperflowers.
18x Whopperflower Nectar, 66x Shimmering Nectar, 93x Energy Nectar.
- Shard of a Foul Legacy: Earned by defeating Childe at the Golden House at Lv.70 and above.
You'll need 18 in total.
Hu Tao: Suggested Best Build
Given Hu Tao's talents, you'll want items that come with a lot of HP%.
Best Weapon for Hu Tao
Given both Elemental Skill and Elemental Burst scale with Max HP for Hu Tao, the best weapon currently available is the five-star Staff of Homa, which provides a massive boost to Max HP.
Alternatively, any weapon that boosts Max HP or comes with a buff to or after Elemental Skill will be sufficient in the meantime. Black Tassel is a solid F2P 3-star weapon for the %HP increase, although you will want to try and roll for the Staff of Homa with any Intertwined Fate currency you earn.
HP increased by 20/25/30/35/40%.
Additionally, provides an ATK Bonus based on 0.8/1.0/1.2/1.4/1.6% of the wielder's Max HP.
When the wielder's HP is less than 50%, this ATK bonus is increased by an additional 1/1.2/1.4/1.6/1.8% of Max HP.
Best Artifacts for Hu Tao
This one is simple — the four-piece Crimson Witch of Flames. Hu Tao is very dependent on her elemental abilities, and this set is ideal for Pyro characters it is built for.
Stat priority is pretty broad, but you'll want to especially focus on the following:
- Elemental Mastery
- CRIT Rate
- CRIT DMG
- Pyro DMG
Energy Recharge can also prove useful so you can spam Elemental Burst more (and therefore heal more), but ultimately, more power is best.
You can find the Crimson Witch of Flames set in the Hidden Palace Of Zhou Formula (Frost) Domain.
As an alternative, you can equip the Gladiator's Finale set, which is much more easily obtainable — it often drops from the world bosses you can encounter.
Pyro DMG Bonus +15%
Increases Overloaded and Burning DMG by 40%. Increases Vaporize and Melt DMG by 15%. Using an Elemental Skill increases 2-Piece Set effects by 50% for 10s. Max 3 stacks.
Hu Tao: Best Team
While there will be a lot of theorycrafting going on in the weeks following release, the following things should be taken into account when building a strong team.
- A second Pyro character will add a significant boost to ATK. Bennett is ideal, as he buffs the team and provides fantastic healing.
- A Hydro character will allow for the constant Vaporise proc, for ramped up damage. Xingqiu or Barbara could be useful here, with both also offering extra healing.
- A Geo-focused character will help with sustain, thanks to the shields they bring to a party. Here, we're thinking of Zhongli or Noelle.
Hu Tao: Example Team Comps
Premium: Hu Tao / Xingqiu / Bennett / Zhongli
F2P: Hu Tao / Barbara / Noelle / Xiangling
Here is a list of all promo codes available to redeem on Genshin Impact. If you're looking to get some free Primogems or other in-game goods, you're in the right place.