During the worldwide multiplayer reveal and on the Activision blog, details surrounding how Black Ops Cold War will be integrated into Warzone have been revealed.
Cross-play, cross-progression and cross-generation
With Black Ops Cold War, a multiplayer game can consist of PC, current-gen, and next-gen console players, making Black Ops Cold War the first Call of Duty title to feature cross-generational play. This feature will also apply to Warzone, meaning progress made on current-gen consoles will carry over when a player decides to upgrade to a new console.
In addition to cross-platform and cross-generational play, players will have their profile, progress and stats linked to their Activision account. This allows them to switch between platforms, if they choose to, without losing their progress or identity in the game.
Battle Pass, Shop, and Armory integration with Warzone
Warzone will continue to evolve after the launch of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, blending some of the themes, weapons, and operators of Black Ops Cold War into this successful free Battle Royale experience.
Both games will share post-launch seasonal content thanks to the return of the Battle Pass system and the in-game store, as well as a progression system. At launch, Black Ops Cold War is expected to include an all-new progression system that will connect with Warzone, allowing players to unlock new content for use in both titles.
In addition to all of the new Black Ops Cold War content, Warzone players will still have access to previously earned content: weapons, operators, blueprints, gear, and cosmetics which they earned during their experiences in Modern Warfare. Please note that previously earned Modern Warfare content is only available and usable in Modern Warfare and Warzone.
- Those who earned items in Modern Warfare or Warzone will keep their content when Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War arrives in November.
- All new content in Black Ops Cold War, such as base weapons and attachments, can be unlocked by playing Black Ops Cold War and Warzone.
- The Battle Pass system will continue to include free tiers, similar to the Modern Warfare Battle Pass system, which will include new base weapons in addition to other categories of items that players can earn just by playing the game.
- The Battle Passes will launch in tandem with the post-launch seasons, which will include themed content that matches the story of each season.
- The Battle Pass and Store will include a variety of cosmetic content, including Operators, Weapons, Blueprints, calling cards, and more.
- There will be no Season Pass. Post-launch maps and multiplayer modes will be free and available to all players simultaneously on all platforms.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will continue this concept through a collaborative effort between several studios: Treyarch and Raven Software, as well as additional support from High Moon Studios, Beenox, Activision Shanghai, Demonware and Sledgehammer Games.
We finally know what Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will offer in terms of its game modes, and specifically its multiplayer modes. Here's what we think of the reveal.