Before you start your shiny hunt, here are some tips and information to know:
- Shinnies are not seen in the wild as they were in Let's GO. You must enter into a battle to know if they are shiny or not.
- It is possible to come across Shiny Pokémons during Raids. It will be shiny for the 4 players. In this case, the shiny can be seen at first sight during the Raid (and not at the Catch Time as in Pokémon GO).
- You can unlock a Shiny Charm to increase your chances of running into Shinnies. The Shiny Charm is only available for Trainers who have fully completed their Pokédex.
- The yellow aura you sometimes see on some Pokémon has nothing to do with its ability to be shiny.
Shiny Locked Pokémon
Before, it was possible to Reset your game to be able to find a shiny starter or Legendary for example. In Pokémon Sword and Shield, they are Shiny Locked! The only way to obtain them in shiny will be to make eggs (breeding) at the Daycare.
Technique for catching Shinnies
In Pokémon Sword and Shield, you must use Chaining in order to maximize the chances of obtaining a shiny. This means that you must knock out a maximum of the same Pokémon in a row.
For example, in the Wild Area, you can find a spot in Gastly. Your objective will be to knock them out one after the other until you come across a shiny.
We don't have any more information at the moment but feel free to comment on how you managed to find some shiny Pokémon.
- Choose a Pokémon to hunt
- Knock out as much of the Pokémon as possible (we don't know if it's better to capture it or kill it).
- Try not to break the chain by meeting other Pokémon (it would seem, however, that it is possible to escape the unwanted Pokémon)
- Once you reach the 25 K.O. Pokémon chain, you are then at the maximum percentage chance of getting a shiny.
The odds of catching a shiny
As in every Pokémon game, the odds are low. But you can increase it by getting the Shiny Charm.
- Without the Shiny Charm, you have a 1 in 2048 chance of running into a shiny
- With Shiny Charm, this ratio drops to 1 in 1024
Here is a table made by Serebii.net showing you the exact odds ratios:
Emblematic item of the Pokémon series, the Shiny Charm will allow you to increase your chance of finding Shiny Pokémon. Here's how to get it.